Although I'm at the library and supposed to be working on my Newsworthiness paper, I thought I'd take some time to blog about the next TV show I've decided to tackle: The Office (US version, although I do plan on at least testing out the UK version).
For the longest time, I couldn't stand The Office. I didn't see what other people saw in it and I just didn't find it funny. Then, over winter break (during which I apparently was nothing but bored--see my HIMYM obsession) I caught some of Season 2 on TBS with my boyfriend. It must have been a really funny episode, because I kind of fell in love with it.
When I came back to college, my roommate told me that all of the Office was available on Netflix's Instant Watch. So last night, I finally got to watching some of the episodes. I even rewatched the episode that originally made me fall in love with it: "The Fire".
This is the episode that first made me love Dwight's character. I just found the image of him exaggerating how bad the fire was by crawling on the floor with the fire extinguisher very funny because there was only a tiny bit of smoke coming from the office's kitchen. Also, his attempts to win back Michael's affections were very amusing. Dwight (the boss's "pet") only loses his affection after Michael learns that the temp, Ryan Howard (I always think Phillies when I hear his name--I can't help it) went to business school. He begins to admire him on such a creepy level that only he could. What I love most about this episode is at the end, when Dwight discovers Ryan is responsible for the fire, and then Michael and Dwight sing "Ryan started the fire" (to the tune of Billy Joel's "We didn't start the fire") for the rest of the episode. Once again, Dwight is the boss's "pet" he always aspires to be.
It also surprised me to learn that the guy who plays the temp, BJ Novak, wrote this episode. I think he did an excellent job, and it definitely makes him respect him more. I'm definitely going to be watching much more of the office in the future.
What episode(s) made you fall in love with your favorite TV show?
(also, please vote in the poll so I know what TV shows I should be posting about more often!)

I love The Office!!! I'm SO happy that you started watching it!! I think "the dundies", "booze cruise", and "casino night" from season 2 are what made me fall in love with the show. I really love all of the episodes though. There's so many that I would call my favorite!
ReplyDeleteI really liked the Dundies as well! It's the episode that made me really start to like Jim and Pam and quite possibly the first episode that made me think "Hey, I should give this show a second chance."
ReplyDeleteSo I'm in love with the show "Gilmore Girls." Honestly, the ease of the banter between Lorelei and Rory drew me in immediately! Same reason why I love "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." How can you possibly resist The Scooby Gang? :)
ReplyDeleteCafe fashionista--Gilmore girls was my first TV crush. I've still yet to get to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. But if you say it has banter in it like Gilmore girls I guess I should get to it soon. I think its available on Hulu.
ReplyDeleteOMG i love the english OFFICE how can people say they hate it, the enlish version is what made the american version evil, you sould watch the english one!!!
ReplyDeleteGracie--I'll definitely check out the English one then.
ReplyDelete