Thursday, April 8

My love for LoVe

I have to admit, that at first, I didn't like the pairing of Logan and Veronica very much. I'd like to think that it was because I didn't start watching Veronica Mars until its third and final season, when it aired right after Gilmore Girls on the CW. Starting with season 3, Logan really doesn't have a whole lot going for him. He and Veronica break up twice, one time because Logan cheated on her slept with Madison, which to someone who didn't know Logan (or really Veronica) that well--seemed awful. Perhaps what most did it for me was Weevil's remark to Veronica during the episode "President Evil":

WEEVIL: Wait, wait, wait. What? You're dating Logan again? After the way he treated Lilly?
VERONICA: This is news? Man, the prison grapevine blows.
Weevil shakes his head and walks off, giving her a look of something akin to disgust. Veronica watches him go, a little taken aback.
courtesy of www.twiztv.com

Not promising words to someone whose only a couple episodes of Veronica Mars. Nope, instead I became a fan of the Veronica/Piz ship (please, don't hurt me...I didn't know any better).

And I'm not going to lie to you, it took me a while to finally fall in love with the LoVe ship. For the longest time I couldn't figure out why people were crazy over LoVe, instead of Veronica and Duncan (once I started watching the series from the beginning). So what made me finally like LoVe? The Epic LoVe scene:



I'm guessing that I didn't watch this scene carefully when I first saw it, but after rewatching it (and almost every episode with any LoVe scene in it), I finally got how perfect LoVe was. This scene (and everything Logan says during it) just breaks my heart. So does this one:



Sway is one of my favorite songs ever, and it just makes this scene perfect.

What made you fall in love with your favorite TV show ships?

7 comments:

  1. Logan never cheated on Veronica with Madison. They were broken up when he slept with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. But it still felt like he did, because it hurt her so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, that comment Weevil made was another throw away moment that Rob Thomas never followed through on (so he really shouldn't have added that anyway). You basically have to read interviews with Thomas to get the whole picture. That comment was in reference to a dropped storyline from season one. Weevil thought Logan hit Lilly because she often had bruises on her. But they were actually from Duncan, who unknowingly hurt Lilly during his violent, epileptic fits (the ones that caused his parents to initially believe he may have accidentally killed her).

    It's a real shame that colored your perception of LoVe. To be honest, I think it was intentional. Thomas wanted to even the playing field so more people would be open to Veronica/Piz, so it was easier to manipulate new viewers with things like this and by, in many ways, trashing Logan in season three somewhat, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. I think Thomas definitely did that, and probably knew it would be easier to get viewers acclimated to Piz (and to hate Logan) because so many people were probably viewing the show for the first time (because of the move to the CW).

    I feel like the whole Madison thing was probably to trash Logan as well. Veronica certainly could have saw that it was merely a character flaw of Logan and it still would have been in character (while I understand that she would have been terribly upset for a long time, and it would have been upset for a while). She seemed to accepting that Logan may have been a hooker at some point. I'm kind of sad that they didn't show her at least being a little more upset about the 2nd break up and so accepting of the Logan/Parker relationship.

    Has Thomas ever said anything about what the future of LoVe would have been?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I so agree that the whole Madison thing was for the same thing. Especially because Veronica really, really overreacted to it, basically blaming MADISON for her rape ("She drugged me!") That's pretty messed up, because Veronica knew that the only thing Madison did was spit in a her drink and pass it on to Veronica, not knowing that her drug was spiked with GHB (by Dick, who wanted to get Madison to sleep with him!) Veronica knew all of this after A Trip to the Dentist, so why is she suddenly blaming an almost rape victim herself for what happened to her? Yet seemingly fine with being around Dick again? There's lots of things you can say to try and figure out her behavior, but it doesn't really matter because it didn't lead to any real character arc for Veronica; instead her reactions only served as another way to split Logan/Veronica up. Which is a shame because it ignored all of the good from the first part of season three, when they were fighting about her mistrust of him and his worry for her taking risks with cases. THAT breakup was a more mature, organic one that would have moved along both characters.

    I mean, Madison is a huge bitch and of course Veronica would be upset, but I think her reaction was way overblown just so it would feel like more of a betrayal from Logan.

    As far as Thomas on LoVe, he always talked about a five year plan and how he was a fan of the drama, that things would be boring if they stayed all happy together or whatever (his five year plan remark was usually about 'maybe if we get five seasons they'll ride off into the sunset together, maybe not.') After the show was canceled, he did talk on the DVD commentary that the final look between Logan and Veronica, and then Piz's pickup on that, is all about Piz realizing that he's basically lost Veronica because in the end it'll always be about LoVe.

    Sorry I took over this blog post! I got the notification in a Google alert for LoVe. I'm a big fan of the pairing even after some of the crap that happened in season three.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that the first break up was much more mature one, and I could accept it more as both characters deciding it was better that they only distrust each other. I've always kind of thought it was weird and unnatural that they got back like 2 episodes later deciding that they'd try to make it better and then break up right away again.

    And it's totally cool that you took over this blog post! I'm at college and nobody seems to ever seen Veronica Mars or makes fun of it once they hear its about a teenage detective. My roommate has been watching some episodes lately with me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore you for posting this. These are the exact scenes that made me love Logan and Veronica together so much. And I've harbored a crush on Logan ever since - despite the fact that he's a fictional character. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of my blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails